“Sending me on the Eden course was the best thing that the Flower Foundation has done for me! Being new to the industry, I had a clean slate and was not subject to any old habits. I adopted an Eden approach from day one and I know that our community benefits from it in more way than one.”
Carel Botha, Area Manager, Willowbrook Retirement Village & Orchid Place, attended a 3 day Certified Eden Associate Training within the first month of him starting at the
Flower Foundation. A year later he and his team have made big strides towards creating home.
Here are a few examples.
- A gardening committee was established to get our residents actively involved and out into the gardens.
- We also established an activities committee to get input from our community on the schedules and planned activities
- We have worked hard in creating social groups in our village to bring our residents together so they have a companion at all times. Easier said than done, but so rewarding!
- We are in the process of installing WiFi hot spots for residents to access their families via technology.
- We do not use the words “Patients”, “Allowed”, “Institution” anymore
- Upgraded the staff dining room, revamped their kitchen and provided a functional change room with individual lockers. We also upgraded the bathroom facilities.
- We ask the question “Why” before making an assumption.
- A resident lost his mobility, but his identity and independence are supported by lowering his kitchen counters to a height where he can still prepare snacks when he is in his 4 wheel mobility scooter. Something he could not do before.